REVIEW: Doubleblind (Sirantha Jax, #3)

Doubleblind - Ann Aguirre

I wouldn't call Doubleblind a satisfying entry in the Sirantha Jax series, but it's a decent one, none the less. It's my least favorite of the three books so far, though, for a few reasons.

For one thing, I guess it was nice to see a more mature side to Jax... but, ultimately, the diplomacy stuff was a lot less exciting for me than the space adventures of the previous books.

Next, the Jax/March "romance" - ugh. I know I'm in the minority here, but, ugh. Granted, I wasn't on board even back in Grimspace, but in this book, their relationship was even more twisted than usual. They're just so toxic, and not *just* in and of themselves, but also to each other, that I just don't get it. Plus, it's like angst central with those two. Perhaps this relationship gets redeemed in the later books, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. With that said, their tender moments are really sweet, and their steamy moments are really hot, so I guess there's that.

Of course, even when this series stumbles, it succeeds in a lot of other ways. As awful as the Jax/March relationship was in Doubleblind (in my opinion, anyway), the Jax/Vel friendship more than made up for it. I know a lot of people have been comparing this series to Mass Effect... well, the Jax/Vel friendship really reminds me of the Jane Shepard/Garrus Vakarian friendship in Mass Effect. Just perfect, in a word.

PA 245 was also a highlight for me, although, I can't for the life of me understand why she would choose to go by the moniker

Constance.

(show spoiler)

Um, no offense to anyone named that who might be reading this...

So, yes... you take the good, you take the bad, and well, this book has both.

In the end, I'd say that I only "kind of liked" Doubleblind, but I'm still more than eager to continue on with the series and follow the adventures of these characters that I've come to love.