REVIEW: Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1)

Ill Wind - Rachel Caine

I really didn't enjoy this book at all.

1) First person POV usually isn't my thing, and it turned into an especially dreadful experience in Ill Wind because the main character's thoughts were written in such a mind-numbing vernacular. The dialogue was painful as well. I guess "trite" is the best way to put it. It was really the writing kept me out of this book the whole time. Due in large part to the writing, I didn't care about the world, didn't care about any of the characters, and really, I just couldn't wait for it to be over.

2) I didn't think the world-building was that great. Weather wardens? Meh. Avatar: The Last Airbender did it better. Djinn? Again, meh. Other books have used Djinn better (such as The Amulet of Samarkand).

3) The characters were... terrible. Joanne was insufferable (and also, very trusting of hitchhikers!), Star made no sense as a villain, David was milquetoast, there was a bad guy named "Bad Bob" (seriously), and the character who was probably the most interesting and had the most build-up (Lewis) was hardly in the book.

I'm sure I could go on and on with great detail of other things I disliked, but I'd rather just take this time to try and purge this book and reading experience from my memory.