REVIEW: The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse, #1)

The Assassin's Curse - Cassandra Rose Clarke

I'm not sure what I'm missing here that others loved, but this, for me, was a struggle to finish.

First off, I have to say - the plot blurb sounds awesome, and it made me super excited to read this. I don't get as hyped about pirates as most people seem to, but I do love assassins, fantasy, adventure, and romance. So, this probably should have been a home run for me, right? But, no.

From the get-go, the narrative grated on the part of my brain that only baby screams and nails on chalkboards have previously pierced. First-person POV is never my favorite form of storytelling, but when done well and in the voice of a character you love, it can be something special. Not so much in The Assassin's Curse. I think I flinched every time Ananna said or thought the word "ain't" (i.e. all the time), or phrases like, "I knew that I wanted a merchant who wouldn't ask me no questions." Maybe that makes me a grammar snob (who knew?), but to have the entire narrative in such a painful vernacular just killed me. It probably didn't help that I read this right after a Juliet "my writing is so beautiful sometimes that it makes you want to weep" Marillier book, but so it goes.

Then, nothing is described, things just happened. What's the Empire? What's the Confederacy? And is it me, or was the curse that bound Naji to Ananna after she killed the snake never actually explained?

All the characters are one-note bores. And what, is Naji like, the worst, most helpless, most self-deprecating assassin in the history of assassins? Personally, I have high expectations for anyone who has the title "assassin," thank you very much.

Finally, the ending was super abrupt. Not that I wanted the book to go on any longer, mind you, but the author could have at least tied up the story better, you know?

So, to sum it all up, high expectations mixed with a lackluster book leads to disaster.