REVIEW: Legends Reborn (The Light of Epertase #1)

Legends Reborn - Douglas R.   Brown

Don't interpret my two star review to mean that this book was bad. It really wasn't bad - it was really okay. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

When I read a book, especially a fantasy, I want to feel completely absorbed in the world. I want to close my eyes and be able to picture the characters, the settings, the clothing, the creatures - anything and everything. That's not Mr. Brown's writing style, though. His writing is concise, in a way that he explains what's happening, and leaves you to work out the rest with your own imagination. I'd say the one exception to that is when there is some sort of fight or battle, which is the only time I really felt that I got any of the details that I was starving for.

Even if you don't care about imagery, though, there were other things that just felt flat to me. Like, for example, character motivations. A lot of times, it just seemed like a character was going from point A to point B, with no explanation of the journey in between. On one page a character might be devastated about something, and then three pages later they might be in contented bliss. Maybe I can understand the essence of the *why* (perhaps a lot of time has passed in those few pages, for example), but I'm the kind of reader that wants to take the journey from point A to point B *with* my characters.

As for the story, it's hard for me to say whether anything was either good or bad - the plot, the characters, what have you - because I just felt so completely detached from everything and everyone. Without being absorbed into the story in the way that I like to be, based on my own reading preferences (as described above), I felt like I was just emotionlessly observing the events as they happened on the page. So, I find it hard to pass judgment on any of the critical aspects of the story. All I can say is, I did finish the book, and I finished it relatively quickly, if that means anything. Everything felt rushed to me, but there I was, rushing right along with it.

I can see why so many people enjoyed this book. It's a fantasy with action and romance, magic and strange creatures. However, Legends Reborn isn't the type of book I'd personally seek out in a reading experience. So, in the end, whether or not you enjoy this book will probably depend on what you like and what you're looking for.